– about us –
We are a warm Christian community who gather each week to practice the life of faith together in worship, fellowship and celebration; for we are convinced we have found life and we have found it in Jesus Christ, Lord of all creation.
While we are a community cultivated in the rich, centuries old tradition of the Armenian Christian faith, our evangelical commitment to the boundless Gospel of Christ as well as our faithful tradition of cross-cultural missions invites all individuals to join us in the worship of Christ our King!
– a history –
The Armenian Evangelical Church of Chicago began to take shape as early as November of 1901 when Mr. Garabed Tovmas Pushman took the initiative to gather together a small body of believers once a month in a rented hall of the Chicago Commons. He and his colleagues, Megeurdich Pushman (Brother), Hagop Roumian and Peter Hagopian took turns leading these monthly worship services together. As the community grew and developed, these monthly services became weekly services and a Rev. Avedis Darakjian accepted the call to serve as the church’s pastor.
Rev. Avedis Darkajian led the community for thirteen years. He shepherded them through the difficult times of financial depression and under difficult circumstances, sought the help of various Christian benefactors to acquire a church property. God provided a great gift in sending the community a devoted Christian patron by the name of John Bezazian, who purchased the first church grounds on 5430 N. Sheridan Rd. in Chicago. The community worshiped there in the Sheridan Rd. property from 1943-1999
After the retirement of Rev. Darakjian, many Armenian Evangelical pastors served the church and cultivated a healthy Christian community: Rev. Harry Missirlian (1947-1953), Rev. Puzant Levonian (1953-1958), Rev. Hovhannes Apkarian (1958-1967), Rev. Garabed Tilkian (1968-1974), Rev. Barkev N. Darakjian (1974-1996), Rev. Samuel Aguilian (2002-2007) and Rev. Jeremy Tovmassian (2014-present).
After many years of use, the Sheridan Rd. church grounds had come under significant disrepair. The church decided to sell it and, after a string of moves, bought a plot of land in Mt. Prospect, IL. This Mt. Prospect location is where the church currently worships. Its architectural style is designed to reflect its unique Armenian Christian roots.
Whether worshiping in a small rented Chicago hall or in a purchased church grounds, the Armenian Evangelical Church of Chicago has witnessed the powerful grace of God. That grace that is faithful from generation to generation. We look forward in great anticipation to see the new ways God will embolden us for His Kingdom and teach us the way of His holy, unwavering love.
The Church’s one foundation is Jesus Christ her Lord; She is His new creation by water and the word (The Church’s One Foundation. Samuel J. Stone)